Who knew a vegan chilli would be so simple to make? With just enough heat and a trio of beans, you’ll want to add this delicious veggie chilli to your recipe rotation.
1 tsp oil
1 onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, crushed
10 mushrooms, sliced
3 jalapenos or chillies roasted and sliced
3 peppers, roasted and sliced
1 tsp ground cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
800 g passata
4 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
2 Tbsp oregano
4 Tbsp chilli powder (or to taste)
1 x 400 g tin black beans
1 x 400 g tin cannellini beans
1 x 400 g tin chickpeas
Salt and pepper, to taste
A splash of balsamic vinegar
Optional Add - Ins
Add a few handfuls of kale or spinach for some greens
Garnish with fresh coriander and lime wedges
Add in any veggies you like (e.g. sweet potato, sweetcorn, etc.)
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, peppers and jalapenos or chillies. Sauté for a few minutes until the mushrooms begin to cook, about 4 minutes.
- Add in the ground cumin and coriander. Toast for 2 minutes, continually stirring.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, except the balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for at least 30 minutes. If you have time, allow it to cook at a low and slow pace for about 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, add a splash of balsamic vinegar. Test the chilli and adjust your seasoning as needed. Balsamic vinegar at the end of cooking is our secret ingredient in chilli. It adds an additional layer of flavour not found usually in traditional chilli.