Sneak veggies into a high-protein Bolognese without using any meat! Picky eaters will barely be able to taste the mushrooms, celery and carrots you’ve hidden in this hearty meal.
340 g mushrooms
1 red onion, quartered
2 cloves of garlic
1 celery stalk, cut into thirds
2 carrots, cut into thirds
1 Tbsp olive oil
Splash of balsamic vinegar
195 g green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
500 mL vegetable stock
2 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
1 sprig rosemary
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
Gluten-free or whole wheat spaghetti, to serve
- In a food processor, pulse the mushrooms until they are finely chopped and then set aside.
- Next add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots to the food processor and pulse until they are a finely chopped.
- In a saucepan, sauté the vegetable mixture in the olive oil for 10 minutes. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add in the lentils, stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Add a whole sprig of rosemary and a bay leaf. Cover, and allow the sauce to cook at a low simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary and bay leaf. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- If the sauce is too thin, turn up the heat and cook for a few minutes more uncovered.
- Serve over a bowl of spaghetti.