Get the taste of meatloaf, without the meat. This meat(less)loaf has protein from beans and a delicious flavour from fresh vegetables and herbs. Even better, you can make it ahead of time and freeze it for a quick weeknight meal during the week – perfect for your Sunday night meal prep!
To freeze, make and bake it first for 25 to 30 minutes or until it is just set. Let cool and wrap with foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. To heat up, defrost and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set.
Another way to save time is to reduce the size. Mini versions can be made in either mini loaf pans or muffin tines and baked for 20 to 25 minutes (depending on size).
3 Tbsp flaxseeds, ground
60 mL cup water
100 g oats
2 x 400 g tins of black beans
1 tsp oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, grated
1 red pepper, diced
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
¼ - ½ a jalapeno
2 Tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp oregano
100 g sweetcorn
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a loaf tin.
- Combine the ground flaxseeds with the water and set aside.
- In a food processor, grind 50 g of the oats into a flour. Set aside in a mixing bowl. Then blend 1 tin of the beans into a paste and add into the mixing bowl. Add in the remaining oats and beans into the mixing bowl.
- Sauté the onion in oil until translucent, about 4 to 6 minutes. Add the carrots, red pepper, garlic and jalapenos. Sauté for 4 to 6 minutes or until soft. Add in the chilli powder and oregano. Sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the sautéed veggies, corn and flax mixture into the oats and beans and combine well. Season with salt and add more chilli powder and oregano if needed.
- Add the mixture to the loaf tin and press down to smooth out. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Top with avocado, guacamole or even a little mash potato, and enjoy!