Your morning just got a little bit sweeter with these blueberry protein waffles and pancakes. In less than 30 minutes you’ll feel like you woke up on the right side of the bed, even if you didn’t. Don’t feel like getting out the waffle press? Turn them into pancakes in seconds.
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
500 mL unsweetened almond drink
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
3 Tbsp water
250 g all-purpose gluten-free flour
½ tsp baking powder
42 g Vanilla Vega® Essentials
150 g fresh, dried or frozen blueberries
½ banana, mashed
1-2 Tbsp coconut oil, liquid
1 Tbsp sugar (omit if making pancakes)
Optional toppings: maple syrup, blueberries, and chopped walnuts
- Combine the apple cider vinegar and almond drink then set aside (this makes the buttermilk).
- Make a flax “egg” by combining the ground flaxseed and water. Stir and set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and Vega® Essentials. If making waffles, add sugar now.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mashed banana, flax egg, buttermilk mixture, and coconut oil (1 tablespoon for pancakes, 2 tablespoon for waffles).
- Mix the wet into dry ingredients, until mostly combined, then fold in the blueberries (if the batter appears too thick, add more almond drink 1 tablespoon at a time. If it’s too thin add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time).
- Preheat the waffle press and lightly grease with coconut oil.
- Cook waffles as per the waffle press instructions (will vary depending on the make).
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Lightly grease the pan with coconut oil.
- Once hot, drop pancake batter onto the pan.
- Flip once the batter is bubbly in the centre, 3 minutes.
- Cook until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes.