Get zesty this Autumn with a granola full of spices. If you like big clusters in your homemade granola, cook it at a low temperature and don’t stir it. Let it sit until cool and you will have delicious big granola clusters.
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 Tbsp sugar of choice
350 g gluten-free oats
250 g pumpkin or sunflower seeds (or both!)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp salt
125 mL rapeseed oil
125 mL maple syrup
120 g dried fruit of choice, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160 ºC fan/gas mark 4 and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange zest and sugar. Rub with your fingers to work the oils out of the zest and into the sugar. Rub until the sugar is bright orange.
- In a large bowl, combine the zest sugar mixture, oats, seeds, spices, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, maple syrup and orange juice. Stir well.
- Mix the liquid mixture with dry until everything is coated.
- Pour onto the baking tray in an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Only stir the edges and only if they begin to get too dark.
- Reduce the heat to 160ºC/140 ºC fan/gas mark 3 and bake another 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool completely before mixing in the dried fruit.
- Store in an airtight container for 1 to 2 weeks.