These chickpea falafels are just right for lunch or dinner. Bright and full of flavour, the aroma of coriander and parsley will fill the kitchen, while the spicy cumin warms from the inside out. With a crisp outer shell, drizzled with a savoury tahini dip, falafel will become a new favourite whenever hunger strikes.
For the falafel:
330 g cooked/canned chickpeas
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1 bunch coriander, chopped
1 bunch parsley, chopped
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp gluten-free flour (quinoa, brown rice, millet)
1 Tbsp cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Pinch of ground cardamom
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp coconut oil
For the sauce:
125 mL tahini
1 tsp ground cumin
To make a wrap:
Wrap of your choice (lettuce, kale, pita bread, or a gluten-free wrap)
Juice of 2 lemons
1/2 bunch coriander, chopped
Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas well. Combine all the falafel ingredients, including the chickpeas, onion, parsley, garlic, flour, salt, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, cardamom, and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Add ¼ of the mix to a food processor and blend until very smooth. Remove and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining ¾ of the ingredient mix to the food processor. Pulse until a rough, coarse mixture forms - the mixture should be coarse and granular, yet easy to shape without crumbling. Combine with the smooth mixture from step 3 to help bind them together.
- Form into even size balls using a tablespoon (about 2 tablespoons of mixture per falafel). If the mixture seems too loose and falls apart, stir in a little bit of flour into the mixture.
- Once all the falafel balls are formed, place on a lined baking tray, and bake until crisp to the touch, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tahini sauce: Place all the ingredients in a food processor, and blend until fully combined.
- To serve the falafel, place in a wrap of your choice with vegetables such as chopped cucumber, tomato, parsley, and onions. Finally drizzle with creamy tahini sauce and enjoy!