Life has a way of taking over sometimes, so we could all do with taking a step back to focus on ourselves. Even with that endless list of emails and all those work deadlines, stopping for a few moments a day to do something for ourselves is a great way to stay energized and keep that positive attitude. When we are constantly on the go, it’s easy to let our needs and wants fade into the background.
But not today!
Here are my top 10 tips on how to put yourself first:
1. Breathe: You’d be shocked at what breathing can do for your health. Deep breathing is said to be one of the best and most cost-effective ways of reducing stress in the body. In that never ending day of odd jobs that you need to tick off the to-do list, it’s super simple to squeeze in a few minutes of deep breathing. Even if it’s on the bus commuting to work, at your desk over lunchtime, or during your morning shower, allow yourself the gift of breathing!
2. Breakfast: Choosing the right nutrition in the morning can make or break your day. Finding satisfying and nourishing options helps to keep you alert, energized and ready to take on anything. One serving of Vega® Essentials first thing in the morning keeps the spring in your step and easily fits in with your morning routine.
3. Move: Have you ever looked back on your day and realised that you spent most of your time sitting down? This can happen more often than not so here’s a little trick; set an alarm for a few times throughout the day to make sure you get up and move. Being active even when you’re busy can benefit your health, mood and energy levels. Why not try an hourly walk around the office, or get your whole team involved in a 2 o’clock squat!
4. Socialise: Take the time to meet up with friends or have dinner with the family. Or even a quick Facetime to those that live far away. The beauty of technology is that you can give someone a ring while walking to the shops, or stick your Mum on speaker while you cook dinner.
5. Explore: So often we are focused on our daily routine that we forget to notice the incredible city we live in. Have you noticed the new café that’s just opened? Have you heard about the events that are happening nearby this week? Why not spend a weekend exploring where you live and visiting that museum that’s around the corner?
6. Write: One way that can help bring positivity and appreciation to your life is to write down the good moments from your day, something that you are grateful for or just the qualities in yourself that you love! You can even make it part of your nightly routine, jotting it down before you switch off the lights. Paragraphs or bullet points, it’s up to you.
Another option is to note down all the things you love about yourself, and start your day by saying aloud one of these positives in the mirror. This is a great way to get the day started and show yourself the appreciation you deserve. Simple sentences like “today is going to be the best day ever,” “I look great today,” or “I’m going to nail my presentation” are perfect for this exercise.
7. Indulge: Or trick your taste buds into thinking you are! For all my sweet tooth friends out there, choose a quick treat that you will actually feel good about. Try a smoothie or these delicious Fudgy Vegan Brownies to curb those 2pm cravings.
8. Dance: Turn up your favourite guilty pleasure and get your boogie on. No matter how cheesy, or how old school, get that tune blasting through your bedroom. If you have never tried this I strongly suggest it; I genuinely do this a few times a week and I’ve never regretted it. It is a great way to get your blood flowing, release endorphins to boost your mood and to just have a good time.
9. Pamper: Taking 30 minutes out of your day for a little pampering can boost your confidence and allow you, to take care of you. This doesn’t mean you have to spend loads of money, you can go and get your hair done or have a massage if you like, but painting your nails and relaxing with a face mask at home is just as good. Give yourself permission to pamper; you won’t regret it.
10. Learn: Taking care of yourself also includes giving yourself permission to learn something new, regardless of your day job. Always been telling yourself you should learn another language? Do it! Whether you’re interested in photography, cake decorating or learning a musical instrument, now is the time to make it happen. There are a range of online classes available; some are even free, so sign up for a class that keeps you accountable for actually completing the course and interacting with other people.