Need vegan dinner party inspiration? We have got your back with this one. Vegan and gluten-free tagliatelle with butternut squash… O-M-G!
500 g gluten-free tagliatelle
500 g butternut squash or pumpkin
200 mL vegetable stock
2 garlic cloves
100 g kale
1 Tbsp Vanilla Vega® Essentials
1 Tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
Pinch of nutmeg
Drizzle of olive oil
Pickled Red Cabbage:
½ red cabbage
250 mL white wine vinegar
250 mL water
1 Tbsp cane sugar
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp fennel seeds
6 black peppercorns
- Cut the red cabbage with into thin strips and place in a sealable jar. Bring the white wine vinegar, water, sugar, bay leaves, fennel seed and peppercorns to boil. Simmer gently until the sugar is dissolved. Let it cool, and pour over the red cabbage in the jar. Make sure the cabbage is well covered, place on the lid and put in the fridge until use. The longer it stays in the sealed jar, the better it gets.
- Meanwhile, cut the squash or pumpkin, onion and garlic into small cubes. In a deep based frying pan, fry the onion and garlic in olive oil until fragrant, then add the squash and thyme. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Cover and let it simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes until the squash is soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente and drain. While cooking, stir-fry the kale in a pan with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Blend the squash mixture with Vega® Essentials, nutmeg and seasoning until smooth. Add water from the pasta pan if the sauce is too thick.
- Combine the sauce and the pasta. Serve the pasta with the kale, pickled red cabbage and pumpkin seeds.