Jazz up that traditional shortbread recipe by adding some rosemary and lemon to get in the festive spirit. Great to pre-make and have to nibble on throughout our favourite winter holiday!
150 g all purpose whole wheat flour or gluten-free all purpose flour
60 g of icing sugar, plus extra for decorating
1 Tbsp fresh or dried rosemary
Zest of 2 lemons
125 mL olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 160 ° C/140° C fan/ gas mark 3.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, rosemary and lemon zest. Pulse until the rosemary is finely chopped.
- Add in the olive oil and pulse a few times just to combine. The dough should be crumbly rather than smooth. If the dough is smooth add one tablespoon more flour at a time until the dough becomes crumbly.
- Transfer the crumbly dough onto an ungreased 8 x 8 inch square cake tin. Press flat and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in the cake tin for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar, and while still warm, cut into bars or wedges and store in an airtight container.