Looks innocent, but where do you draw the spice 'lime'… can you handle the heat of this Mexican Quinoa Soup?
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 - 2 jalapeños
1 onion, sliced
5 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tsp each chilli powder, cumin and coriander
Pinch of cinnamon
1 litre vegetable stock
900 mL tinned chopped tomatoes
2 bay leaves
200 g dry quinoa, cooked
¼ avocado, diced
1 lime, quartered
Tortilla chips, broken up
- Preheat the oven to 230 °C/210 °C fan/gas mark 8.
- Place the peppers and jalapeños on a baking tray and roast for 30-45 minutes allowing the peppers to char. Flip the peppers frequently.
- Place the roasted peppers in a container with a lid or in a closed brown paper bag to steam. Once cooled, peel the peppers, take out the seeds and slice.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add enough olive oil to coat the bottom sparingly. Add the sliced onions and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and dried spices to the onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the roasted peppers, vegetable stock, tomatoes and bay leaves.
- Cook for 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Add the cooked quinoa and serve.
- Garnish with avocados, limes, cheddar and tortilla chips.