Green cardamom is the base of the best chai recipes. It adds intense fragrant notes of green spice and pepper. To build on the flavour of cardamom, we add various other spices that each adds their own unique notes to the chai taste. Cinnamon adds warmth and sweetness, fennel adds a light liquorice note and star anise adds a stronger and sweet liquorice flavour. Coriander adds a sweet citrusy note, and ginger and peppercorns finish it off with their own spice notes.
Personally, I like a very spicy chai and I bump up the ginger or peppercorns in this recipe, but the recipe is easily adjusted to your own person chai preference. Want to make it a chocolate chai? Simply swap the vanilla flavour Vega® plant-based protein powder for a chocolate flavor!
4 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
6 green cardamom pods, smashed and seeds reserved
1 tsp coriander seeds
12 to 16 pepper corns
¼ tsp fennel seeds
8 tsp loose black tea
¾ tsp powdered ginger
1 vanilla bean pod, seeds scraped out and reserved
- In a dry skillet, toast the star anise, cinnamon sticks, cardamom seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorns, and fennel seeds until fragrant and fennel seeds are golden.
- Combine the spices in a high powered blender or coffee/spice grinder and grind until it’s a fine powder. Add tea leaves, powdered ginger, and optional vanilla bean scrapings and continue grinding until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the spice powder and Vega powder, stirring until well combined.
- Store in an airtight jar. Mix will last up to a month, but the fresh spice flavour is best within a week of making.
- To make the tea, heat 375 mL of a plant-based drink per serving until simmering. Turn off the heat and whisk in three tablespoons of chai mix per serving. Allow to steep 2 to 3 minutes.
Pour through a mesh strainer or cafetiere and serve!
*At Vega®, Clean means: Non-GMO, suitable for vegetarians and vegans, gluten-free and non-dairy ingredients.