No gym? No problem! You don’t need to have a gym membership to be able to achieve your fitness goals. Your own body weight, a small amount of space, and a bench or chair is all you need. Especially in this glorious summer weather, it’s nice to get outside and workout in the sun. Try this full body workout using a chair at home, in your garden, or a bench in the park!
Perform the following exercises with a 30 to 45 second rest between each one.
- Decline Press-up: Perform a press-up with your hands on either a stable chair or bench. For an extra challenge, pause at the top of the movement, place right hand on left shoulder and back down, alternate side with each press-up (10 to 15 reps)
- Triceps Dips: Perform the exercise with your hands on the bench and your body facing away. Beginner: knees bent, intermediate: legs straight, advanced: one leg raised (10 to 15 reps)
- Single Leg Bench Get-Up: Sit on a bench with one foot on the ground and the other raised. Move to a standing position (10 reps each side)
- Incline Plank: Place your feet on a bench, perform a plank on either your hands or forearms (Hold for 30 to 45 seconds)
- Inverted/Incline Press-up: Perform a press-up with your feet on a bench (10 to 15 reps)
Single Leg Lunges: Place one foot on a bench and stand facing away (Perform 10 lunges on one leg, switch)
Rest 1-2 minutes, repeat for 2-3 sets
“15 Second” Drill
Perform each exercise for 15 seconds, with no rest in between!
- Star Jumps: Focus on speed
- Squat Jumps: Squat to a 90-degree depth before jumping up (do not pause between each jump)
- Mountain Climbers: From a push-up position, alternate bringing one knee to the chest at a time. Focus on speed
- Press-ups: Standard shoulder width or military press-ups to focus on triceps
Plank-walk ups: Start in the plank position on your forearms. Walk your body up to a press-up position, pausing at the top. Lower body back to the plank position on forearms and pause.
Repeat for 4 sets with 1 minute rest in between